Category Archives: Uncategorized

Michael Bisping Fires Back at ‘Stupid’ Luke Rockhold After Recent Comments

The war of words between Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold rages on.

On Wednesday night, Rockhold claimed that Bisping’s championship reign was “the worst in UFC history” while mocking the fact that the 38-year old Brit faced Dan Henderson in his only title defense before booking a fight against Georges St-Pierre in November, who has never competed in the middleweight division previously.

Well it didn’t take long for Bisping to respond while he reminded Rockhold how he became middleweight champion when they met at UFC 199 last June.

“It’s a good job that he looks good cause he obviously can’t add up because 15 months — I fought less than a year ago, he hasn’t fought since I knocked him out in three minutes. Yes, three minutes, out cold,” Bisping said on “TUF Talk”. “Then he comes back, he fights who was it? David Branch. Never heard of him.

“You should go and rematch Chris Weidman. A couple of bums so you can try and claw your way back to the top. I even sound like Weidman now, I sound like Rockhold, I can’t get my words out cause he’s so dumb, so stupid.”

Watch the First-Round Finish That Earned Geoff Neal A UFC Contract

(Courtesy of UFC)

Watch Geoff Neal and his powerful left hand in the fight that earned him a UFC contract.

TRENDING > Paige VanZant Reveals Title and Cover for Her New Book Due Out in 2018

Neal took the fight on short notice, but he obviously doesn’t regret it, especially since he is now, officially, a UFC fighter. 

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

Derrick Krantz Out to Prove He’s One of the Best in LFA 23 Title Defense

After suffering a loss to Alex Morono at LFC 49 in December of 2015, welterweight Derrick Krantz has gone on a three-fight winning streak, including capturing an LFA title in his most recent victory this past May at LFA 12 versus Ben Neumann.

Krantz credits his recent success to his maturation as a fighter.

“I kind of feel like I’ve come into my own,” Krantz told MMAWeekly.com. “I feel comfortable in my preparations for my fights now. I’m confident. I’ve got it dialed in what I need to do to get ready for fights.

“I’ve had some pretty good showings. I always find things to work on, but for the most part I’m looking solid all the way around.”

Krantz additionally feels the diversity he’s gotten in his training – spending time at multiple gyms – has been a big boon to his winning streak.

“I’ve got three different gyms, not including my own in Marshall, which I train at,” said Krantz. “I’m constantly getting constant looks from different guys, different types, and different sizes.

“I’m getting pushed, and that’s the most important part for me. I can’t progress if I’m not pushing myself as much as I can.”

Krantz (20-9) will look to defend his recently won 170-pound title in the main event of LFA 23 against top prospect James Nakashima (7-0) on Friday in Bossier City, La.

“I’ve watched film on James and he’s a solid competitor,” Krantz said. “He’s got solid wrestling, good stand-up, strong punches and strong kicks – he’s solid all the way around.

TRENDING > Ronda Rousey’s Coach Wants Her to Fight Cris Cyborg in Final Fight

“In none of his fights have I seen him break spirit or anything like that. I know he’s going to bring it. What I need to do to put James away is be patient, fight my fight and just believe in my abilities.”

Though a successful LFA title defense could be his key to the UFC, Krantz isn’t concerned so much with that as much as he is about putting his attention into the bout itself.

“I try not to think about it being a title defense,” said Krantz. “I, myself, think of it as another fight. In reality it’s a fight with a title on it. I focus more on the fight itself and then what comes afterwards.

“I’m 10 years strong in this sport. I’ve had my ups and downs. I’ve never turned down a tough fight. I feel I’m one of the best in the world and I’m going to go in there and prove it.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

Luke Rockhold Trashes Michael Bisping’s Title Reign as ‘the Worst in UFC History’

Luke Rockhold has never been a fan of Michael Bisping but it seems he likes him even less a year and a half into his middleweight title reign in the UFC.

Of course, Rockhold has a reason to hold a grudge against Bisping after falling to him last June in the fight that cost him the title, but that still doesn’t begin to explain his disdain for the current champion and it all stems from the competition he’s faced thus far.

In Bisping’s first title defense after beating Rockhold, he faced Dan Henderson in a rematch after falling to him by knockout in their first meeting all the way back at UFC 100.

Now in Bisping’s second title defense, he’s set to take on Georges St-Pierre, who is a legend of the sport but he’s a fighter who has never competed at middleweight during his entire career. Meanwhile, a laundry list of top notch middleweight fighters have been squabbling amongst each other just waiting for a shot at Bisping that may never come.

“I think it’s the worst in UFC history,” Rockhold told “UFC Tonight” when asked about Bisping’s title reign. “No one has ever gotten that treatment. No one’s avoided every top contender. He’s supposed to fight “Jacare” [Souza], he avoided that. He was supposed to fight Yoel [Romero], he avoided that and somehow he’s getting away from this fight with [Robert] Whittaker.

“He found Dan Henderson, the No. 14th ranked at the time and now he’s going for GSP. He hasn’t done anything. I fought a guy [in David Branch] that’s four spots higher than he fought in his ‘title defense’.”

While Bisping is preparing for his showdown with St-Pierre in November, Rockhold did return with an impressive second round finish over Branch on Saturday night to put himself back near the top of the middleweight rankings.

Unfortunately for him, Bisping has already said that his fight against St-Pierre could be the final of his entire career as he’s contemplated retirement after UFC 217 is finished.

That statement didn’t exactly shock Rockhold, who expected Bisping to avoid facing him for a third time after their career series is tied up at one win a piece.

“I’m going to put myself into position [to fight him],” Rockhold said. “He’s going to have a choice. Whether he stands and fights like a man or he runs and we all know what he’s doing.

“He’s ran from the start and it looks like he’s going to run to the finish.”

Rockhold would never wish injury upon anybody but he’d love the opportunity replace St-Pierre in that fight against Bisping on Nov. 4 just for the opportunity to settle his longstanding grudge against the Brit.

If that fight doesn’t come to pass, Rockhold has two other opponents in mind that he would like to face as he gets back into title contention.

“I want GSP to get lost on his way down to Madison Square Garden and I stroll right in and finish that story. So obviously that would be an ideal situation for me,” Rockhold said.

“[The alternative] that would be Robert Whittaker. That’d be the real champion, the man who fights the guys. We’ll see what his timetable is of course. Obviously, our third option is Yoel Romero.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Has New Weapons for Rose Namajunas

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions)

Joanna Jedrzejczyk asked for it and she got. She wanted to fight on Nov. 4 at UFC 217 at Madison Square Garden in New York, and she will. Jedrzejczyk will put her belt on the line for the sixth time when she steps in the Octagon with Rose Namajunas.

If victorious, the bout will put the Polish punisher in the record books. A win over Namajunas would tie Jedrzejczyk with Ronda Rousey for the most UFC title defenses by a woman.

Having rolled through most of the rest of the UFC strawweight division en route to her stellar 14-0 record, it would be understandable if Jedrzejczyk decided to rest on her laurels a bit. Being the championship she is, however, Jedrzejczyk will have none of that. 

TRENDING > Michael Bisping Explains the Only Way He’ll Stick Around After Fighting Georges St-Pierre

In her interview with UFC Tonight on Wednesday, Jedrzejczyk said that she has some new wrinkles in her game for Namajunas.

UFC 217 will be headlined by middleweight champion Michael Bisping, who is putting his belt on the line against returning former welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

Watch Yushin Okami Take Out Evan Tanner with a Devastating Knee (UFC KO of the Week)

(Courtesy of UFC)

Check out Yushin Okami’s impressive knockout of former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner back at UFC 82 in 2008. Almost 10 years later, Okami is set to face Ovince Saint Preux in the main event of UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan.

Okami hasn’t set foot in the Octagon since a 2013 loss to Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. He has since gone 5-2, including winning his last four fights, as he makes his return on his home turf in Japan. 

TRENDING > Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him

Follow along on Friday on MMAWeekly.com for full UFC Fight Night 117: Saint Preux vs. Okami Live Results and Fight Stats from Japan.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

Claudia Gadelha vs. Jessica Andrade: UFC Japan Joe Rogan Preview

(Courtesy of UFC)

Joe Rogan breaks down the exciting UFC Japan co-main event between Claudia Gadelha and Jessica Andrade going down on Friday, Sept. 22 at Saitama Super Arena.

TRENDING > Cris Cyborg: Ronda Rousey’s Coach is a Joke

Gadelha and Andrade have both challenged for the UFC starwweight championship, but both came up short against the current queen of the 115-pounders, Joanna Jedrzejczyk. Their co-headliner in Japan could go a long way toward determining who challenges the winner of Jedrzejczyk’s bout with Rose Namajunas at UFC 217 in November.

Follow along on Saturday on MMAWeekly.com for full UFC Fight Night 117: Saint Preux vs. Okami Live Results and Fight Stats from Japan.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

Ferguson vs. Lee Remains Headliner at UFC 216 Over Johnson vs. Borg

The addition of a second world title fight will not affect the UFC 216 main event as the final bout order for the card was released this week.

Tony Ferguson will battle Kevin Lee with the interim lightweight title on the line in the headline bout as both fighters look to establish themselves atop the 155-pound division.

There was some concern whether or not Ferguson vs. Lee would remain in the top slot after the UFC rescheduled the flyweight title bout between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg for the same night on Oct. 7.

As it turns out, Ferguson vs. Lee will stay at the top of the card while Johnson’s attempt to break the all time title defense record against Borg will remain in the co-main event slot.

The flyweight title bout was supposed to go down at UFC 215, but Borg was diagnosed with a viral infection during fight week and doctors ultimately pulled him from the event.

Now the rescheduled matchup is set for UFC 216 but Johnson vs. Borg will serve as the co-main event instead.

It’s also worth noting that the UFC 216 prelims will air on FX rather than airing on FOX Sports 1.

Here’s the UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee card as it stands now.

MAIN CARD (10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view)

MAIN EVENT: Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg

Fabricio Werdum vs. Derrick Lewis

Paige VanZant vs. Jessica Eye

Beneil Dariush vs. Evan Dunham

UFC 216 PRELIMS (8 p.m. ET on FX)

Tom Duquesnoy vs. Cody Stamann

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz

Lando Vannata vs. Bobby Green

Pearl Gonzalez vs. Poliana Botelho

EARLY PRELIMS (UFC Fight Pass, start time to be determined)

Walt Harris vs. Mark Godbeer

John Moraga vs. Magomed Bibulatov

Thales Leites vs. Brad Tavares

Matt Schnell vs. Marco Beltran

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

Michael Bisping Explains the Only Way He’ll Stick Around After Fighting Georges St-Pierre

Michael Bisping’s career is coming to an end soon.

The UFC middleweight champion has long addressed the possibility that he would be retiring from the sport sooner rather than later with only a couple of fights left before he would walk away from mixed martial arts for good.

There’s a distinct possibility that Bisping may even wrap up his career in November after he faces Georges St-Pierre in the main event at UFC 217 in New York, which would serve as his second straight title defense while also facing off with a future Hall of Fame fighter.

That’s part of the reason why those closest to Bisping have advised him to think about retirement in the immediate aftermath of a win because he would finish his career in a historic venue with a victory over arguably one of the greatest fighters of all time.

“My manager says I should retire, he says this should be your last fight. He said there’s no better way and he’s right, there’s no better way than in Madison Square Garden, defending the title, beating a legend like Georges St-Pierre then putting the gloves down in the Octagon. That is the dream. That’s what everybody says,” Bisping said on his “Believe You Me” podcast.

It’s hard to argue with the logic.

At 38, Bisping is already in the latter part of his career and he achieved a lifetime goal when he knocked out Luke Rockhold last June to become UFC middleweight champion. Since then, Bisping has avenged arguably the most devastating loss of his career when he defeated Dan Henderson in his first title defense and now he has the opportunity to headline the biggest UFC card of 2017 against St-Pierre.

It all seems like a perfect way to wrap a bow on his career, but Bisping says there is one more event that could potentially lure him back to the Octagon for another fight.

“I’m kind of torn. I’m going to retire soon and it’s either going to be the GSP fight or….and me and my wife kind of agrees…I want my last fight to be in Manchester [England],” Bisping said. “So there’s a possibility this is going to be my last one or my last one will be my next one against Robert Whittaker in Manchester.”

Whittaker is the current UFC interim middleweight champion after he defeated Yoel Romero in July but then was unable to compete for the remainder of 2017 after suffering a knee injury.

Bisping has talked in the past about retiring in the cage after fighting in his home country of England, but as of now he still hasn’t made up his mind.

The biggest factor for Bisping is being able to go out on top, which is not very common at all when it comes to fighters leaving the sport of MMA.

Even in the situation of his upcoming opponent at UFC 217, Bisping wonders why St-Pierre would return after he left the sport in 2013 as a nine-time defending welterweight champion and now he’s coming back with a chance to tarnish his legacy with a loss in their fight.

“You can’t do it forever and you’ve got to know when to walk away,” Bisping said. “Georges St-Pierre did. He’s the only person to ever do it, he retired as a champion and he should have stayed retired as a champion because he’s coming out of retirement and he’s fighting me. He’s going to lose that fight, I’m assuming he’s going to lose, I’m hoping he’s going to lose but he’s going to lose that fight and that’s going to tarnish his legacy.

“What better way to do it than become the champion and retire as champion. I have a lot of things going on outside the Octagon. Of course health is an issues. I’m also young enough to do other things in my life. I’ve enjoyed being a fighter and I still enjoy being a fighter and I’m truly grateful for all the benefits it’s brought me.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

Rory MacDonald Tapped for Bellator Welterweight Championship Challenge

Former UFC welterweight title challenger Rory MacDonald is only one fight deep into his Bellator tenure, but he’s already been tapped to challenge for the promotion’s 170-pound divisional championship.

MacDonald will challenge reigning champion Douglas Lima on Jan. 20, 2018, when Bellator returns to The Forum in Los Angeles. MMAWeekly.com confirmed the bout with Bellator officials following an initial report by the Los Angeles Times.

MacDonald (19-4) made his promotional debut in May of this year at Bellator 179, where he finished Bellator mainstay and fellow UFC veteran Paul Daley. It didn’t take long for MacDonald to prove he belonged in the Bellator welterweight upper echelon, as he choked Daley out less than two minutes into the second round. Now, he’s taking aim at the first part of his lofty Bellator goals.

“When I signed with Bellator, I made it clear I wanted to take over — multiple weight classes and multiple championships,” MacDonald said in a prepared statement first published by the Los Angeles Times. “Douglas Lima and his title are first on the list before I move onto the next.”

TRENDING > Cris Cyborg: Ronda Rousey’s Coach is a Joke

Lima (29-6) also defeated Daley before he captured the title by knocking out Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 164 last year. He has since defended the strap once, winning a five-round unanimous decision over another UFC transplant in Lorenz Larkin at Bellator NYC in June.

The champ is currently at the top of his game, and doesn’t expect any slowdown against MacDonald.

“I haven’t been this healthy in a long time and Rory is going to be just another win on my record.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly