Report: Tae Hyun Bang sentenced to 10-month prison term for fight-fixing scheme at UFC Fight Night 79

Former UFC lightweight Tae Hyun Bang has been sentenced to a 10-month prison term after being found guilty of taking bribes in connection with a plan to throw a fight.

Bang (18-10 MMA, 2-3 UFC) was sentenced today in the Seoul Central District Court in South Korea, according to a report from The Korea Herald, for taking bribes to throw his bout with Leo Kuntz at UFC Fight Night 79.

Three “brokers” who set up the fix and gave money to Bang totaling $92,160 USD also were given jail terms for their roles. One of those brokers reportedly was MMA fighter Dae Won Kim.

“The crime of match fixing damages the credibility of sport, and in international matches, it has a bad effect on the country’s credibility as well,” the court said, according to The Korea Herald. “Bang had an obligation to play the game fairly, but he ignored it and took an important role in the scheme. But we did take into consideration that Bang won the bout and returned the money afterwards.”

Bang, 34, took money from the brokers before his fight against Kuntz in November 2015 at the UFC’s debut in South Korea. He reportedly took the bribe, then bet roughly half of it on Kuntz. The plan was to lose the first two rounds to his American opponent. But when UFC officials noticed a big swing in the betting lines, taking Bang from the favorite to a heavy underdog, he and Kuntz were warned about the consequences of fixing fights.

At some point, he changed his mind about throwing the fight – and went on to win a split decision at Olympic Gymnastics Arena in Seoul.

“The UFC seemed like they knew something was definitely not right,” Kuntz told MMAjunkie in April after the investigation was announced. “They told me it was the largest odd swing they’d seen in MMA and last minute. They told me, ‘Hey, if either one of you guys goes out there and doesn’t fight, you should prepare to be investigated.’”

After the fight, Bang reportedly received death threats from organized crime figures, who had bet roughly $1.7 million on Kuntz to win. According to a person close to the fighter at the time of the UFC’s warning, Bang and his camp denied knowledge of any of fight-fixing.

After his win over Kuntz, Bang fought for the promotion once more in September 2016 and lost a unanimous decision to Nick Hein at UFC Fight Night 93 in Germany. He has not fought since then and reportedly no longer is with the promotion – though oddly enough, he still is listed as a fighter on the roster in the UFC’s official database at UFC.com.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

jQuery.extend( window._usmgOptions,{ scriptUrl: “https://s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/vip/usatoday-plugins/api-galleries/assets”, analyticsCallback: “galleryAnalytics”, fullscreenUrl: “http://mmajunkie.com/sigallery/fNTWDxVE79ZLyTTXBPuWF9/286256”, customAnalytics: true, title: “Hein def. Bang”, feedsrc: 2 } );(typeof _usdpgw == “undefined”) ? _usdpgw = new _usdpGalleryWall(window._usmgOptions) : _usdpgw.start();
Filed under: Featured, News, UFC
Source: MMA Junkie

Report: Tae Hyun Bang indicted for alleged fight-fixing plan at 2015 UFC event

UFC lightweight Tae Hyun Bang reportedly has been indicted for allegedly taking a bribe in connection with his bout against Leo Kuntz at UFC Fight Night 79.

According tokoreaherald.com, Bang is no longer a UFC fighter and will go to trial without being detained. Also indicted are several “brokers” who allegedly set up the fix, including MMA fighter Dae Won Kim.

The Seoul Central District Prosecutors Office, a branch of South Korea’s Ministry of Justice that is similar to the FBI, announced the indictment.

As of Monday morning, Bang (18-10 MMA, 2-3 UFC) remains listed on the UFC’s website. UFC officials and his manager did not immediately respond to a request for comment. When an investigation into the 34-year-old fighter was announced in April, the promotion declined to comment.

Bang, 34, then allegedly admitted he’d tried to fix his bout with Kuntz, only to later change his mind after being warned by UFC officials. He allegedly accepted a bribe of approximately $87,000 while wagering approximately $43,000 on Kuntz.

After beating Kuntz via split decision at the event, which took place Nov. 28, 2015, at Olympic Gymnastics Arena in Seoul, Bang received death threats from organized crime figures, who bet approximately $1.7 million on Kuntz.

Just hours before the fight, the massive wager turned Bang into a massive underdog, prompting UFC officials to go backstage and issue a stern warning to both fighters.

“The UFC seemed like they knew something was definitely not right,” Kuntz told MMAjunkie in April after the investigation was announced. “They told me it was the largest odd swing they’d seen in MMA and last minute. They told me, ‘Hey, if either one of you guys goes out there and doesn’t fight, you should prepare to be investigated.’”

According to a person close to the fighter at the time of the UFC’s warning, Bang and his camp denied knowledge of any of fight-fixing.

It’s been 11 months since Bang competed in the octagon. He most recently lost a unanimous decision to Nick Hein at UFC Fight Night 93, bringing his promotion record to 2-3.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

jQuery.extend( window._usmgOptions,{ scriptUrl: “https://s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/vip/usatoday-plugins/api-galleries/assets”, analyticsCallback: “galleryAnalytics”, fullscreenUrl: “http://mmajunkie.com/sigallery/fNTWDxVE79ZLyTTXBPuWF9/265564”, customAnalytics: true, title: “Hein def. Bang”, feedsrc: 2 } );(typeof _usdpgw == “undefined”) ? _usdpgw = new _usdpGalleryWall(window._usmgOptions) : _usdpgw.start();
Filed under: Featured, News, UFC
Source: MMA Junkie