LFA 17 takes place tonight at Grady Cole Center in Charlotte, N.C., and airs live on AXS TV, beginning at 9 p.m. ET.
Sweeney’s slick choke earns him submission win
John Sweeney said debuting Shelton Sales was in over head, and he wasn’t lying.
Sweeney (2-0) took advantage of Sales’ (0-1) inexperience, leading to a submission win in their featherweight fight.
It came in the first round, when Sales, rebounding from a quick flurry of punches, shot in for a takedown. In the moment, Sweeney went for a guillotine choke. Rather than fight for hand control, Sales pushed forward for the takedown, allowing Sweeney to transition to a standing inverted rear choke. It was in tight, and when Sales went limp the referee stepped in at the 1:57 mark for the finish.
“I mean, he’s a good kid, but this is a whole other level,” Sweeney said to the sound of boos. “He’s stepping up a whole other level.”
Official up-to-the-minute results:
- Thiago Moises vs. Robert Watley – for inaugural lightweight title
- Keith Richardson vs. Tony Gravely
- Hugo Prada vs. Mike Stevens
- Tebaris Gordon def. Chandler Cole via TKO (punches) – 4:25, Round 1
- John Sweeney def. Shelton Sales via submission (guillotine choke) – 1:57, Round 1
- Ryan Jett def. Nick Rodrigues via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)