Category Archives: Nate Diaz

Conor McGregor: I'd like to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov; Nate Diaz trilogy 'also on my mind'

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid4621179066001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAABvaL8JE~,ufBHq_I6FnxR-PQW_F3sm5QdUbP7D6E9&bctid=5508451771001
Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos

LONDON – Will UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor return to MMA after potentially making $100 million for his boxing superfight with Floyd Mayweather? That question seems to be on the minds of many.

It especially was late last month when UFC President Dana White caused a stir after telling MMAjunkie that McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC) wishes to defend his title in against Khabib Nurmagomedov (24-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) in December.

In Russia.

McGregor’s coach, John Kavanagh, seemed to corroborate that story this week when he said McGregor “seems very, very motivated to go to Russia in December” but without specifically mentioning Nurmagomedov as an opponent.

On Friday, following the final press conference of the Mayweather vs. McGregor world tour in London, “The Notorious” sort of cleared the air on a potential bout with “The Eagle” in Russia.

“It’s certainly one of the things I would like to do,” McGregor told MMAjunkie backstage at SSE Arena Wembley. “Whether it’s next, I don’t know. I don’t even know how close the Russia thing is. Whether Khabib can pull his (expletive) together; he missed weight.”

If not Nurmagomedov, McGregor has no shortage of options, with Tony Ferguson (23-3 MMA, 13-1 UFC) and Edson Barboza (19-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC) also possible contenders.

“There’s a few of them in the mix,” McGregor said. “A few of them need to pull their (expletive) together, though, and get interest going and get me interested. Right now I don’t actually see anything.”

But then McGregor dropped this line that’s sure to perk up Nate Diaz.

“That Diaz trilogy is also on my mind,” he said.

If money is McGregor’s primary motivation upon his return to the UFC, then Diaz (19-11 MMA, 14-9 UFC) as his first title defense would seemingly make the most sense. The their two headliners last year were responsible for two of the top three best selling UFC pay-per-views of all time. The rematch at UFC 202, which McGregor won via majority decision, is No. 1 all time. Diaz choked out McGregor in their first encounter at UFC 196, which is No. 3 all time.

Diaz has declined fight offers from the UFC since the loss. He’s also been outspokenly against the Mayweather-McGregor fight, which McGregor doesn’t understand.

“He should really be thankful,” McGregor said. “Before he fought me he was (getting paid) 20,000 to show and 20,000 to win. His 19th fight in the UFC, and he was on 40 grand. Now he’s a multi-millionaire. So, I don’t know why he’s sitting there so bitter. Maybe them smacks he took in that rematch messed with his head a little bit. I hope not, but I think they did.”

For more on “The Money Fight: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor,” check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

jQuery.extend( window._usmgOptions,{ scriptUrl: “https://s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/vip/usatoday-plugins/api-galleries/assets”, analyticsCallback: “galleryAnalytics”, fullscreenUrl: “http://mmajunkie.com/sigallery/DWm5PH8VWKBg8NBLVSeTUj/259222”, customAnalytics: true, title: “Mayweather vs. McGregor World Tour – London”, feedsrc: 2 } );(typeof _usdpgw == “undefined”) ? _usdpgw = new _usdpGalleryWall(window._usmgOptions) : _usdpgw.start();
Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos
Source: MMA Junkie

Dana White: I don't think Nick Diaz will ever fight again

brightcove.createExperiences();
Filed under: Featured, News, UFC

LAS VEGAS – It’s been more than two years since former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz has stepped into a UFC cage, and if Dana White is right, the perennial fan favorite may never do it again.

While MMA fans have been holding out hope that Diaz might soon make a return, White said he’s not nearly as optimistic.

“I highly doubt it,” White told MMAjunkie. “I don’t know. I honestly don’t think that, and I can’t speak for him, you’d have to speak with Nick himself, but if you ask me – people ask me, ‘Do you think Ronda (Rousey) is coming back?’ No. I think Ronda’s going to retire. Ronda hasn’t retired, but my opinion is, I think she will. I don’t think Nick Diaz will ever fight again. I just don’t think he has the desire anymore.”

Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC) hasn’t fought since a January 2015 fight with Anderson Silva. “The Spider” originally claimed a decision win in that matchup, but the result was later overturned when both fighters tested positive for banned substances – Silva for performance enhancers and Diaz for marijuana metabolites.

Diaz, 33, hasn’t tasted victory in the UFC since an October 2011 win over B.J. Penn, and White believes that the fiery welterweight has lost the passion needed to compete at the sport’s highest level.

“The thing about fighting, first of all it’s a young man’s game,” White said. “You’ve got to be young, hungry. You’ve got to be an animal to jump out of bed every day and go in there and train the way that you do.

“The things that you have to do to get to the UFC, let alone break into the top 10 or the top 5 or be a world champion, you have to love it. I just don’t think that Nick loves it anymore.”

White previously told MMAjunkie that both Nick Diaz and brother Nate Diaz (19-11 MMA, 14-9 UFC), who has been out of action since an August 2016 rematch with Conor McGregor, have been offered fights but have thus far turned them down.

However, he does seem cautiously optimistic that Nate will again see action in the octagon – though he admits that when it comes to MMA’s favorite scrapping siblings, anything is possible.

“Nate, I think that Nate probably will (fight) if something popped up,” White said. “But that’s just my opinion. If you ask the Diaz brothers they might have a different opinion.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

jQuery.extend( window._usmgOptions,{ scriptUrl: “https://s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/vip/usatoday-plugins/api-galleries/assets”, analyticsCallback: “galleryAnalytics”, fullscreenUrl: “http://mmajunkie.com/sigallery/bT55nfjZvHniCM59UbfY6S/255926”, customAnalytics: true, title: “Nick Diaz”, feedsrc: 2 } );(typeof _usdpgw == “undefined”) ? _usdpgw = new _usdpGalleryWall(window._usmgOptions) : _usdpgw.start();
Filed under: Featured, News, UFC
Source: MMA Junkie

UFC stars Nate Diaz and Leslie Smith being sued by management group

Nate Diaz and Leslie Smith’s former management group is taking the fighters to court for allegedly skipping out on commissions and conspiring with an attorney to break management agreements.

The Ballengee Group seeks over $1 million in damages, among other claims alleging fraud, negligent misrepresentation and tortious interference in a lawsuit filed Monday by the firm’s attorney in Dallas County (Texas) court.

News of Diaz’s legal trouble was first reported by TMZ.com, and MMAjunkie obtained a copy of the lawsuit, which also includes Smith and attorney Sam Awad.

Nate Diaz could not be reached for comment, and calls to Smith and Awad went unreturned.

The suit, filed by attorney Jason H. Friedman, claims Ballengee signed Nate Diaz as a client in the summer of 2014 after his older brother Nick had signed and recommended him.

Diaz, the complaint states, was “looking for a management team that could take him to the next level which he had previously been unable to do.”

The brothers “represented and assured” Ballengee that in exchange for representing the younger Diaz, he would pay the firm “on the same terms and as set forth in” the elder Diaz, “and that The Ballengee Group would, if such terms were agreeable to it, represent Nate on all future bouts and business matters.”

The firm subsequently negotiated with the UFC on the younger Diaz’s behalf for several bouts, including his blockbuster against Conor McGregor at UFC 196, an ill-fated rematch planned for UFC 200 and a follow-up at UFC 202.

Diaz wound up making a disclosed $500,000 for UFC 196 and $2 million for UFC 202, though his final pay was likely much higher.

On the Diaz brothers’ recommendation, the management firm also picked up Smith, negotiating a promotional agreement in March 2016.

But just four months later in July, or one month after terms for UFC 202 had been negotiated, the suit claims Nate Diaz “unexpectedly” terminated its representation, and Smith did the same in November.

The suit claims that unbeknownst to Ballengee, attorney Awad had begun “interfering with their agreements” with the Diaz brothers and advised Nate Diaz and Smith not to pay for their services.

As a result, the firm is suing Awad for tortious interference while alleging the defendants “intended to avoid payment for the plaintiff’s services by intentionally or knowingly securing the performance of the service by deception,” or “knowingly securing the performance of a service by agreeing to provide compensation and, after the service was rendered, failing to make payment after receiving notice demanding payment.”

The suit argues had the interference not occurred, Ballengee would still be working with Nate Diaz and Smith. It requests “exemplary damages” be awarded to the management firm in addition to “actual, economic, and non-economic damages in an amount within the jurisdictional limits” of the court, as well as attorney’s fees.

Diaz (19-11 MMA,14-9 UFC), 32, remains inactive on the UFC’s roster since turning down a fight with Tony Ferguson at UFC 213 when the promotion didn’t reach his financial demands. The rematch with McGregor at UFC 202 ended in a unanimous decision loss, reversing a triumphant submission win over the current UFC lightweight champ at UFC 196.

Smith (9-7-1 MMA, 3-3 UFC), meanwhile, is slated to face Lina Lansberg at UFC Fight Night 113. She’s hoping to build on a recent decision over Mexican prospect Irene Aldana at UFC on FOX 22.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

jQuery.extend( window._usmgOptions,{ scriptUrl: “https://s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/vip/usatoday-plugins/api-galleries/assets”, analyticsCallback: “galleryAnalytics”, fullscreenUrl: “http://mmajunkie.com/sigallery/VwHLK2PFuHsacnwCwAyM78/254245”, customAnalytics: true, title: “Nate Diaz”, feedsrc: 2 } );(typeof _usdpgw == “undefined”) ? _usdpgw = new _usdpGalleryWall(window._usmgOptions) : _usdpgw.start();
Filed under: Featured, News, UFC
Source: MMA Junkie

Nate Diaz responds to Conor McGregor-Floyd Mayweather booking with a reminder for McGregor

brightcove.createExperiences();
Filed under: News, UFC

You knew Nate Diaz was going to chime in after today’s announcement of the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor boxing match booked for later this summer.

Just minutes after the fight was confirmed, Diaz (19-11 MMA, 14-9 UFC), who split a pair of UFC fights with McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC) in 2016, took to social media and let his thoughts on the bout with Mayweather (49-0 boxing) be known.

Instagram Photo

Diaz hasn’t competed since his majority-decision loss to McGregor at UFC 202 this past August. There recently was talk of him competing in an interim lightweight title bout against Tony Ferguson at UFC 213 in July, but the fight never came to fruition.

He originally said he wouldn’t fight again until a trilogy match with “The Notorious” was offered, and it appears he may stick to his guns in hopes of getting that fight once McGregor finishes his business with Mayweather in the boxing ring.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

jQuery.extend( window._usmgOptions,{ scriptUrl: “https://s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/vip/usatoday-plugins/api-galleries/assets”, analyticsCallback: “galleryAnalytics”, fullscreenUrl: “http://mmajunkie.com/sigallery/zP8ckMV3y2znKY3YnenK6C/253057”, customAnalytics: true, title: “Floyd Mayweather Jr.”, feedsrc: 2 } );(typeof _usdpgw == “undefined”) ? _usdpgw = new _usdpGalleryWall(window._usmgOptions) : _usdpgw.start();
Filed under: News, UFC
Source: MMA Junkie