Marcin Tybura didn’t exactly sprint across the finish line, but he still managed to edge out Andrei Arlovski in a heavyweight battle that slowed to a crawl by the end.
After nearly finishing the fight in the first round only to have the tables turned on him late, Tybura (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) used his takedowns and his ground control to grind out a win over Arlovski (25-15 MMA, 14-9 UFC), earning the unanimous decision with scores of 29-28, 28-27, and 29-27.
The heavyweight bout was the co-main event of today’s UFC Fight Night 111 event at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore. It streamed on UFC Fight Pass.
Tybura was at his best when he was at his freshest in this fight, though that period didn’t last long. After taking Arlovski down early in the first, he soon got to full mount and began peppering Arlovski with a series of ceaseless, though not exactly devastating strikes from above.
Arlovski did just enough to survive that assault for most of the round, then managed to scramble up in the final minute and ended the round on offense, hammering blows at a visibly exhausted Tybura, who could do little more than cover up and wait for the horn.
Both men’s paces slowed considerably in the second, with the fight devolving into a clinch battle that gave neither a clear edge. But with Arlovski trying to rally in the third, Tybura scored a critical takedown that allowed him to ride out the final round on top, effectively halting Arlovski’s momentum and dooming him to a slow-motion defeat.
With that, Tybura convinced all three judges to give him the bout with an array of scores, even if both men ended up similarly exhausted.
Tybura has now won three in a row, with his last loss coming over a year ago. Arlovski has lost his last five bouts.
Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 111 results include:
- Marcin Tybura def. Andrei Arlovski via unanimous decision (29-28, 28-27, 29-27)
- Colby Covington def. Dong Hyun Kim via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
- Rafael dos Anjos def. Tarec Saffiedine via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Jon Tuck def. Takanori Gomi via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:12
- Walt Harris def. Cyril Asker via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:44
- Alex Caceres def. Rolando Dy via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00
- Ulka Sasaki def. Justin Scoggins via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:19
- Li Jingliang def. Frank Camacho via unanimous decision (29-27, 28-27, 29-27)
- Russell Doane def Kwan Ho Kwak via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:09
- Naoki Inoue def. Carls John de Tomas via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Lucie Pudilova def. Ji Yeon Kim via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
For complete coverage UFC Fight Night 111, check out the UFC Events section of the site.
(MMAjunkie’s John Morgan contributed to this report on site in Singapore.)
Filed under: Featured, News, UFC
Source: MMA Junkie