Martin Nguyen (9-1) avenged the lone loss of his career and took the featherweight title from champion Marat Gafurov (15-1) in Friday’s headliner. Not only did Nguyen get back a split-decision loss to Gafurov from two years prior, but he handed him his first career setback – and did so after fending off repeated submission attempts to land a sickening knockout in the second round.
“ONE Championship 59: Quest for Greatness” took place at Stadium Negara in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and streamed as an online pay-per-view in North America following prelims on Facebook.
Also on the main card, former bantamweight title challenger Kevin Belingon (16-5) needed only 62 seconds to take out Reece McLaren (9-5). And Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke shut down Robin Catalan with a TKO 46 seconds into the second round.
Check out the highlights from those four fights above, courtesy of Michael “The Voice” Schiavello and an always for some reason angry-sounding Mitch Chilson.
ONE Championship 59 main-card results:
- Martin Nguyen def. Marat Garufov via knockout – Round 2, 1:27
- Ev Ting def. Nobutatsu Suzuki via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3: 29
- Agilan Thani def. Sherif Mohamed via unanimous decision
- Kevin Belingon def. Reece McLaren via knockout, Round 1 – 1:02
- Gianni Subba def Riku Shibuya via unanimous decision
- May Ooi def. Ann Osman via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:27
- Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke def. Robin Catalan via TKO – Round 2, 0:46
- Christian Lee def. Keanu Subba via submission (armbar) – Round 3
- Emilio Urrutia def. Edward Kelly via unanimous decision
- Rene Catalan def. Bu Huo You Ga via unanimous decision