Today’s ONE Championship 61 main event went the distance, but the flyweight bout was spoiled in the first round by an apparent referee blunder.
Facing Kairat Akhmetov (21-1), Geje Eustaquio (9-6) unloaded a flush upkick – totally legal under ONE Championship’s rules – but referee Yuji Shimada inexplicably called a timeout. Instead of awarding the knockout stoppage, the ref continued to fight, and Akhmetov rallied to pick up a narrow split-decision win.
Here’s the kick in question (via Twitter):
The event took place at Jakarta Convention Center in Indonesia, and the main card streamed as an online pay-per-view in North America.
With Akhmetov getting some time to recover from the blow, the 29-year-old Kazakhstani fighter eventually seized momentum of the fight, took the bout to the mat, and ground his way to a decision victory.
It was the former flyweight champion’s first fight since losing his belt via decision to Adriano Moraes in August.
In the flyweight co-headliner, things didn’t last long. Local product and clear crowd favorite Stefer Rahardian (6-0) scored a quick takedown, took his opponent’s back, and then tapped out Sim Bunsrun (3-4) with a rear-naked choke. The stoppage came in just 67 seconds (via Twitter):
Also on the card, in a quick heavyweight bout, Alain Ngalani (3-3) avoided a charging Hideki Sekine (7-2) before catching him with a fight-ending and face-planting punch in just 11 seconds (via Twitter):
Full ONE Championship 61 results included:
MAIN CARD (Online pay-per-view, 10 a.m. ET)
- Kairat Akhmetov def. Geje Eustaquio via split decision
- Stefer Rahardian def. Sim Bunsrun submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:07
- Alain Ngalani def. Hideki Sekine via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 0:11
- Roy Doliguez def. Yago Bryan Farias de Morais via knockout (punch) – Round 3, 2:58
- Thai Rithy def. Sunoto Peringkat via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 0:19
- Hisyam Samsudin def. Jeremy Meciaz via TKO (knees and elbows) – Round 1, 2:37
- Ramon Gonzalez def. Deligerihu Liu via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 1:52
PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised, 9 a.m. ET)
- Adrian Matheis def. Phat Sodasubmission via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:11
- Riski Umar def. Adi Nugrohoknockout via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:00
- Thai Rithy def. Jerome S. Paye via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 0:19
Filed under: News
Source: MMA Junkie