After fending off a seemingly endless stream of submission attempts, Dakota Cochrane turned the tables on Maki Pitolo and finished the Victory FC 58 main event with a submission of his own.
Early on in the welterweight bout, which headlined the UFC Fight Pass-streamed card at Baxter Arena in Omaha, Neb., it appeared it would not be Cochrane’s (29-12) night. Pitolo (8-4) put him in numerous compromising positions, including taking his back and working for a rear-naked choke or neck crank.
Despite the adversity, Cochrane remained calmed and waited for his opportunity to arise. He got the upper hand on Pitolo in the midst of a second-round scramble, grabbing ahold of the neck with a guillotine choke.
Pitolo was able to handle the initial attempt, but when Cochrane adjusted and rolled over into mount, the pressure was too great. Cochrane fully locked in the choke with fewer than 10 seconds remaining in the second round, and even though Pitolo was clearly aware of how much time was left, he couldn’t resist tapping out at the 4:58 mark of Round 2.
With the win, Cochrane improved to 6-2 in his past eight fights. He said in his post-fight interview that he’s interested in a bout with UFC and Strikeforce veteran Yuri Villefort (10-5) next.
Martinez submits Plazola in 62nd pro fight
Alonzo Martinez (42-20-1) came out of the gate on fire in his lightweight bout with Mike Plazola (12-8). He kept up the pace until he secured a guillotine choke, which forced his opponent to tap out.
Martinez, who made his MMA debut in March 2003, picked up his third win in his past four fights when he rushed Plazola at the opening bell and before long connected with a punch, which led to a knockdown. “Zo Diddy” attempted to finish the fight with a flurry of strikes, but Plazola kept himself out of danger.
Eventually the fight returned to the feet, but it didn’t stay upright for long. Plazola exposed his neck, and that’s when Martinez dropped down guillotine choke, forcing the tap at the 3:47 mark of Round 1.
Complete Victory FC 58 results included:
- Dakota Cochrane def. Maki Pitolo via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 4:58
- Alonzo Martinez def. Mike Plazola via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 3:47
- Darrick Minner def. Will Shutt via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 2:48
- Kendrick Latchman def. Cody Land via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:56
- Cory Galloway def. Terrence Almond via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Bryce Logan def. Cody Carrillo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Troy Nawrocki def. Jaime Medina via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Jeff Molina def. Delfino Benitez via technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:33
For more on Victory FC 58, check out the MMA Events section of the site.
Filed under: News
Source: MMA Junkie