UFC officials recently confirmed the matchup following an initial report from the Pittsburgh’s Post-Gazette.com.
Featuring a middleweight main event between former UFC champ Luke Rockhold and former dual-division UFC title holder David Branch, UFC Fight Night 116 takes place Sept. 16 at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh. The night’s main card airs on FS1, though the full bout order has yet to be released.
Fighting professionally since 2014, Gillespie is undefeated through the first nine fights of his career, including seven wins by stoppage. Included in that run are two wins under the UFC banner, including a 21-second stoppage of Andrew Holbrook at April’s UFC 210 event, as well a debut victory in UFC Fight Night 95 decision result over Glaico Franca in September 2016.
Meanwhile, Gonzalez saw a six-fight winning streak snapped in his UFC debut, suffering a debut loss to Drew Dober at this past September’s UFC 203 event. However, Gonzalez rebounded with a first-round submission win over J.C. Cottrell at January’s UFC on FOX 23 event.
With the addition to the card, UFC Fight Night 116 now includes:
- Luke Rockhold vs. David Branch
- Thiago Alves vs. Mike Perry
- Hector Lombard vs. Anthony Smith
- Anthony Hamilton vs. Daniel Spitz
- Uriah Hall vs. Krzysztof Jotko
- Sergio Moraes vs. Kamaru Usman
- Justin Ledet vs. Dmitriy Sosnovskiy
- Gilbert Burns vs. Jason Saggo
- Gregor Gillespie vs. Jason Gonzalez