Watch Conor McGregor Burn Jeremy Stephens: ‘Who the F*** is That Guy?’

Jeremy Stephens has had a long career in the UFC with some memorable fights. Memorable to you and us, that is, but apparently not to Conor McGregor. At the UFC 205 press conference, when McGregor was asked who he thought the hardest hitting puncher at featherweight is, Stephens interrupted and claimed to be that guy. McGregor’s response? “Who the f**k is that guy?”

Follow @MMAHotSauce on Twitter and Facebook. Also follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

 

Source: MMA Weekly

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

John Lineker Went Wild on Francisco Rivera: UFC Portland Free Fight Video

(Courtesy of UFC)

John Lineker boasts an impressive 9-2 record in the UFC including this first-round submission victory over Francisco Rivera last year. Lineker faces John Dodson in the main event of UFC Fight Night Portland on Saturday, October 1.

TRENDING > Roy Nelson Explains Why He Kicked Referee ‘Big’ John McCarthy

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

Tamdan McCrory’s Long Road Back to the UFC


(Video Courtesy of UFC)

Tamdan McCrory went through a lot after being cut by the UFC in 2009 and ended up taking a five-year break from professional fighting. McCrory earned another UFC contract in 2015 and is fighting in the UFC FIGHT PASS featured bout again Nate Marquardt at UFC Fight Night Portland on Saturday.

TRENDING > Joe Rogan: ‘I’m Not Doing It Anymore’

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

Conor McGregor Ridicules Eddie Alvarez, ‘They Begged Me!’

Conor McGregor UFC 205 KickoffAfter Conor McGregor‘s meltdown with Nate Diaz at their UFC 202 pre-fight press conference drew the scrutiny of the Nevada Athletic Commission, many people wondered if we might see an kinder, gentler Conor McGregor moving forward.

In a word… nope!

At least things didn’t get physical at the UFC 205 Kickoff Press Conference at Madison Square Garden. There were no cans or bottles flying through the air, as they had between McGregor and Diaz.

TRENDING > Jose Aldo Asks for UFC Release, Threatens to Retire

McGregor’s tongue, however, was as sharp as ever. When he started to unravel how the fight with lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez, which headlines UFC 205 on Nov. 12, 2016, came about, McGregor quickly shifted into high gear, ridiculing Alvarez.

“I said it out straight, ‘beg me,’ and they begged me,” he proclaimed. And that’s when he unloaded.

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube)

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

Georges St-Pierre Undergoes First USADA Tests in Potential UFC Return

Although the public war of words between former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and company president Dana White proliferates, St-Pierre continues the necessary steps toward a potential Octagon return.

As recently as interviews this week, White has reiterated his stance that he doesn’t believe St-Pierre really wants to return to the fight game.

St-Pierre, however, has been adamant that it is a matter of ironing out contractual details.

TRENDING > Conor McGregor Puts a Dollar Amount on His UFC Worth… and It’s Big!

“I’m making a lot of money right now even though I’m not fighting. My (UFC) contract was made before the Reebok deal,” he said. “What we ask is basically, if I go back to fighting, I can’t advertise my sponsor, so I’m losing money if I go to fight under the old term of my contract.”

Georges St-Pierre UFC World TourAside from his contract, St-Pierre has to be in the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency testing pool for four months before he can return to competition. Not coincidentally, he began making himself available to USADA in early August, which makes him eligible to fight as soon as UFC 206 on Dec. 10, which happens to be the promotion’s return to Toronto.

In checking USADA’s testing count, St-Pierre has provided four samples since he entered the testing pool. USADA does not comment on collected samples, but as of the time of publication, there have been no public notices of any adverse findings with any of St-Pierre’s samples, although it’s possible all four samples are currently undergoing analysis.

As long as his samples return clean results, St-Pierre would be on track for a return by the end of this year or early next year. Of course, that is still dependent upon his desire, and the UFC’s willingness to renegotiate his contract.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

Lomachenko-Walters finalized for Nov 26

It’s on! Two-division world champion and two-time Olympic gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko will defend his World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior lightweight title against undefeated former world featherweight champion Nicholas “Axe Man” Walters on Saturday, November 26, at The Chelsea inside The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. It will be televised live on HBO. Promoted by Top Rank, ticket information including room/ticket packages, will be announced shortly.

“Boxing fans will be able to spend their Thanksgiving holiday weekend feasting on the year’s most anticipated showdown,” said Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum. “Forget their weight class. With more than 3/4 of their victories coming by way of knockout, they punch and win like heavyweights! We know how the fight is going to end. The question is, which fighter will end it.”

“I want to thank HBO and Bob Arum for giving me this opportunity to test myself in the fight with the best. Walters you are next on my list.” said Lomachenko.

“I am very happy and excited about this upcoming bout between Lomachenko and Walters,” said Egis Klimas, Lomachenko’s manager. “Ones again Vasily proved he wants to fight the very best fighters in his weight division and I want everyone to understand when he says so, he means it. Thank you to our promoter Top Rank and HBO network for putting this fight together.”

“Any fighter can be knocked out no matter who he is,” said Walters. “I like fighting the best and I like fighting against great technical fighter like Lomachenko. Look at what happened when I fought a great technical fighter like Nonito Donaire. Lomachenko is great, he knows what he is doing in the ring. But I always look for a knockout against whomever I fight. If I can do it quick, I will. This is the best fight out there in boxing today. It will be the Fight of the Year.”

“On November 26, live on HBO, Vasyl Lomachenko and Nicholas Walters will step up to deliver for the fans the fight they’ve been demanding to determine another of boxing’s top pound for pound stars,” said Peter Nelson, executive vice president, HBO Sports. “We are proud to feature this junior lightweight title showdown on our flagship World Championship Boxing series.”

The post Lomachenko-Walters finalized for Nov 26 appeared first on Boxing News.

Source: Fight News

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

Who is Next for Dominick Cruz? Dana White Weighs In

Bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz defended his title on June 4 at UFC 199. His next title defense is in the works, but whom he’ll face is still in question.

Sixth-ranked Cody Garbrandt is undefeated (10-0) and has finished his last three opponents in the first round. Following his knockout win over Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 202, Garbrandt has been calling for a title shot.

“In my mind, that’s my next fight. I think in Dom’s mind, he has to get ready for it. I truly believe I’m next in line for the title shot,” Garbrandt told MMAWeekly.com at UFC 203 on September 10.

TRENDING > Conor McGregor Puts a Dollar Amount on His UFC Worth… and It’s Big!

While the match-up is intriguing, there may be someone else in line to face Cruz.

Dominick Cruz - UFC 199“Obviously, Cody has stated his case. He’s been wrecking people in spectacular fashion,” UFC president Dana White told TMZSports. “I love the kid, and we’ll see, but let’s not forget T.J. Dillashaw is out there too. He just beat (Raphael) Assuncao. He’s the No. 1-ranked guy in the world.”

Dillashaw is the former bantamweight champion. He lost to Cruz by split decision in January, and a rematch could be on the horizon. Cruz’s next opponent will either be Garbrandt or Dillashaw.

“One of those two will get the fight,” said White.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn Has Outlived Much of His Competition

The early days of UFC were not for the faint hearted.

“My financial guarantee when I walked in was 1,000 dollars” is how UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn remembers his first deal when speaking to me via telephone. “And for that, I signed a contract that said ‘in the event of your accidental death.’ There were only two rules: no biting and no eye gouging.  There’s a lot of ways you can take another person’s life without violating those two rules.”

The Coldwater, Mich., resident has recently released an autobiography, “The Realest Guy in the Room.” It charts his journey from “a childhood like Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn” to the Octagon and beyond. The name derived from co-writer Ian Douglass’ observations of the man dubbed “The Beast.”

“After (Ian) had spoken to me a few times, he said, ‘You are the realest person I have ever met. You are very direct.’ I always say, you may or may not like what comes out of my mouth, but is it honesty? You can take it to the bank. I’m not going to lie to you. I can sleep well at night.”

TRENDING > Dan Henderson: Who is the One Fighter He Wishes He’d Fought

One of the things Severn is honest about was his own athletic integrity.

“I’ve spent a lifetime chemical free. I’ve been involved with two of the worst industries for it. MMA is getting worse over time and professional wrestling, oh my God, that’s on a classification all by itself. To put it point blank, I outlived five of my cagefighting opponents and almost 30 of my professional wrestling partners. And none of them were older than me.”

When Severn, now 58, entered UFC 4, it was a blind draw with no weight classes. Yet, he felt his amateur wrestling background prepared him well for what could have been an intimidating situation.

“I was competing in (amateur wrestling) in Michigan, or Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, or go over into Ontario, Canada. They didn’t wrestle that folk style (in Canada); it was more freestyle. I legitimately had over 3,000 amateur matches. It’s an incredible record, but I’ve been wrestling since 1969.

Dan Severn - Cage Rage 20“In amateur wrestling, when you showed up for a tournament, it was a blind draw right then and there. People would weigh in then and there, and you could go against the number one guy in that pool from the very first match. The blind draw did not bother me whatsoever. The size factor, it never intimidated me. As an amateur wrestler, the normal conduct in practice is to work out with people at your weight class, below yours, and one weight class above yours.

“I worked out with the heavyweights. That weight class has a cap on it now. That cap came in in 1986. I was a freshman at Arizona State in 1976, so one of my workout partners, big James Mitchell, weighted 420 pounds. So in the preseason alone, I had to work out with a 420-pound man, seven days a week, three times a day. I was good at my craft, because if I shot in and shot in wrong, he could have sprawled and you wouldn’t have even been able to see me under that massive man, he’d have squashed me like a pancake.

“I competed as a heavyweight and people felt sorry for (my opponents). I was throwing these guys, and they just thought it was impossible. David slaying Goliath out there. But that’s just the bone-headed determination I had.”

His amateur wrestling also took him abroad into hostile territory.

“American is hated by most countries because we are the land of the free, the home of the brave. We are what most counties are trying to be like. So for me to be in a foreign country, and wearing a USA wrestling singlet, I was being booed. Most of the wrestling took place on the old communist bloc. Russia and the United States didn’t get on, cold war era, I was still wrestling. Just to be in the Soviet Union multiple times, to be in East Germany on multiple times, it’s been quite the education.”

I asked Dan if he felt envious of the money and profile bestowed upon the UFC elite of today, and his honest was typically forthright.

“People say you must have made millions. No, unfortunately; I wish I did. I made thousands of dollars. But can I complain? No, because I made the most money at the time. Go back 20 years on any sport, in soccer, (American) football, it has all improved. So I cant begrudge what I made.”

He does, however, feel that UFC could benefit from his involvement today.

“Should I be involved with it now? I should be. That sounds very braggadocious of me, but it’s like my book title, the realest guy in the room. I am the best representative, point blank. I am lifetime chemical free, a married man, a man with an education, I have children, the whole nine yards. I don’t have one tattoo. I have never been in a fight in my life. I have never been in trouble with the law. I work with military personal, law enforcement, and air marshals, and now the worlds largest security company. I am the guy who should be touted.”

Looking forward, Severn is looking at planning a trip to the U.K., to pass on some of his grappling skills in seminars to the bourgeoning MMA scene.

“I’m like a crack addict. I like to teach; I like to share. I have been teaching for over 20 years, but think I have some knowledge, which would probably help people even on a pro level, if they would take on certain tactics, techniques and concepts that I teach that people will never ever think about, but people don’t have the background of international competition. One of the things the U.K. is famous for is its catch wrestling. So there are pockets in the country that have submission or grappling wrestling roots. Basically, I am that throwback from days gone by. I am part catch wrestler, I am part Greco-Roman, and part freestyle wrestler. Because of my experiences, I have put a bit of everything into the pot and made something of it.”

TRENDING > Jose Aldo Asks for UFC Release, Threatens to Retire

Whilst Severn was, and occasionally still is, is a ruthless competitor in the MMA world. He is also an incredibly polite and engaging individual. Perhaps that dichotomy is best summed by Severn himself.

“I am not a fighter. I am a competitor. I will shake you hand before, I will shake it after, no hard feelings whatsoever. But between those two shakes…”

(This article courtesy of MMAWeekly.com contributor James Oddy. Follow him on Twitter @oddy1j )

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

Tyron Woodley: ‘Boo Me If You Want… You Have to Respect Me’ (Video)

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley says even his haters have to respect him and call him the welterweight champion of the world.  Woodley faces Stephen Thompson at UFC 205 in November at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

TRENDING > Jose Aldo Asks for UFC Release, Threatens to Retire

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube)

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Source: MMA Weekly

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube

Braehmer-Cleverly final press conference

92816cleverly00t

Photos: Uwe Koch

The wait is almost over! Five years after their first scheduled contest Juergen Braehmer (48-2, 35 KOs) and Nathan Cleverly (29-3, 15 KOs) will finally meet in a World title fight on Saturday night at the Jahnsportforum in Neubrandenburg.

WBA World Champion Braehmer returns to happy hunting ground as he looks to secure his seventh successive title defence by defeating his long-standing rival.

The German veteran captured the WBA strap against Marcus Oliveira at the Jahnsportforum in 2013, and successfully defended the belt with a shutout points victory over domestic rival Eduard Gutknecht in March this year.

‘’This is a special fight for me,’’ said Braehmer at today’s final press conference. ‘’It’s a fight I’ve wanted for a long time, and a fight the fans are excited to see. I will enter the ring, as I always do, with just one goal in my mind – to win, no matter what, and with the support of crowd in Neubrandenburg, I know I will.’’

The challenger, Cleverly, believes timing is on his side, as the former WBO Champion aims to wrestle the belt from the 37 year-old Braehmer, and begin his second World title reign.

‘’It’s great that this fight is finally happening,’’ said Cleverly. ‘’It’s been five years in the making, and finally Braehmer is stepping up to the plate.

‘’It’s a going to be a difficult fight for me, but it has come at the wrong time for him. He’s 37 years old and reaching the end of his career, and I’m 29 and just hitting my peak. Juergen is a great fighter, but he’s not ready for what I’m bringing. I want this too much and I will be bringing the belt home with me.’’

Promoter Kalle Sauerland says he is looking forward to this long-awaited World title clash, but does not expect age to be an issue for the evergreen Champion.

‘’This is a great showcase for boxing,’’ said Sauerland. ‘’We have two of the best boxers in the light heavyweight division going head-to-head in a fascinating World title fight. Nathan may be the younger man, but I believe Juergen has only got better with age, and on Saturday night, he will prove he is the better boxer.’’

While Cleverly’s promoter Eddie Hearn said he is eager to settle the score with Sauerland, and believes the challenger’s desire could be the deciding factor.

‘’Nathan is desperate to regain his World title and that makes him a dangerous man,’’ said Hearn. ‘’He’s willing to go that extra mile and that will test Braehmer’s hunger. I’ve done the calculations and Kalle is currently 3-2 up when it comes to matching our fighters, and that makes Nathan the equaliser.’’

The WBA World Light Heavyweight contest between Juergen Braehmer and Nathan Cleverly will be shown live on SAT.1 in Germany and Sky Sports in the UK.

The post Braehmer-Cleverly final press conference appeared first on Boxing News.

Source: Fight News

facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinrssyoutube